Spotify stands out as a widely favored platform for streaming music and podcasts. With over 456 million active monthly users, Spotify offers access to millions of songs, audiobooks, and other content.
As a Mac user, you may be wondering how to update Spotify Mac to ensure you have the latest features and functionality. Updating Spotify regularly is easy and can be done in just a few steps.
1. Check Your Current Spotify Version
Before updating Spotify on your Mac, it’s a good idea to check which version you currently have installed. Here’s how:
- Open the Spotify app on your Mac.
- Click on the “Spotify” menu in the upper left corner.
- Select “About Spotify.” This will open a window showing details about your installed version of Spotify.
- Look for the version number shown – it will likely read something like “184.108.40.2066.gfedc1234.” Make a note of this number so you can verify whether an update is available later.
Knowing your current Spotify version number will make it easy to check if you have the latest release and need an update.
2. Enable Automatic Updates
The easiest way to keep Spotify updated on your Mac is to enable automatic updates. Here are the steps:
- Click on the “Spotify” menu while the app is open and select “Preferences.“
- Select the “Show Advanced Settings” checkbox at the bottom of the window.
- Under the Advanced section, check the box next to “Enable Automatic Updates.”
With this setting enabled, Spotify will automatically check for new updates in the background and install them when they become available.
You’ll no longer have to manually trigger updates each time a new Spotify version is released. The app will always stay up-to-date.
3. Check for Updates Manually
If you prefer having more control over when Spotify gets updated, you can disable automatic updates and choose to manually check instead.
Here’s how to manually check for Spotify updates on your Mac:
- Open the Spotify app if it’s not already running.
- Select “Check for Updates…” from the “About Spotify” window.
- Spotify will connect to the update servers and display an alert if a newer version is available for download and installation.
- Click the “Update” button to download the latest Spotify release. The update may take a few minutes to download and install depending on your internet speed.
Once complete, Spotify will relaunch with the new version activated. All your playlists, libraries, and settings will remain intact after updating.
Be sure to manually check for Spotify updates every few weeks if you have disabled automatic updates. This ensures you have the latest features and fixes as soon as they become available from Spotify.
4. Update Spotify Using the Mac App Store
An alternative way to update Spotify on your Mac is by using the App Store application. The benefit of using the App Store is that all your installed apps can be updated from one place.
Here’s how to update Spotify using the App Store:
- Open the App Store application on your Mac.
- Click on the “Updates” tab at the top of the window. This will show all apps installed from the App Store that have updates available.
- Look for the Spotify listing and click “Update” to download the latest version.
- Once the update is downloaded and installed, Spotify will relaunch automatically. You now have the newest Spotify release running on your system.
The App Store makes it fast and convenient to update all apps at the same time. Just check the Updates section on a regular basis to keep Spotify and your other Mac apps current.
Refresh Login Session after Updating
After updating Spotify on your Mac, one last recommended step is to** refresh your Spotify login session** within the app.
Here’s the quick process:
- In Spotify, click your account name in the top right dropdown menu.
- Select “Log out“.
- Log back into Spotify with your username and password credentials when prompted.
Spotify will sign you in with a fresh login session, reloading all your account details and settings. This clears out any cached data from the previous version that could cause issues.
Logging out and back in ensures everything functions smoothly after a major update. Playback, playlists, and the user interface will all be completely refreshed.
Enjoy the Latest Features
Once fully updated, open Spotify and take your new version for a spin! With frequent feature releases and updates every few weeks, updating Spotify on your Mac helps provide:
- Improved speed and performance enhancements
- New capabilities like lyrics views, enhanced playlists, and video podcast playback
- The newest UI design and layout tweaks
- Compatibility updates with MacOS changes
- General app stability fixes and improvements
Be sure to update Spotify regularly to guarantee the best listening experience with the streaming capabilities you love. Keeping your apps current is a quick and painless process on Mac that pays dividends through an optimized, feature-rich Spotify.
FAQs About Updating Spotify on Mac
Still have some questions about keeping Spotify up to date on your Apple computer? Here are answers to a few frequently asked questions:
Will updating Spotify cause me to lose my playlists or account info?
No, updating Spotify through any method will retain all saved data like playlists, libraries, preferences, etc. Only the actual app code gets refreshed – your data remains intact.
Does updating use a lot of bandwidth or data?
Generally, no – Spotify updates are small file downloads ranging from 10-40MB. Just a minor amount of temporary bandwidth is consumed.
What happens if I have playback issues after updating?
First, log out and back into Spotify to refresh the login credentials. If issues continue, uninstall then reinstall Spotify to fully clear out any conflicting data from the previous install.
Can I revert to an older Spotify version if I don’t like the latest update?
Unfortunately, there is no way to revert to older Spotify versions after updating on Mac. You’ll need to remain on the newest release or uninstall/reinstall an older version you still have access to.
I updated Spotify but don’t see any visual changes – why not?
Some Spotify updates focus solely on behind-the-scenes fixes and performance improvements rather than visual tweaks. So the interface may look unchanged even after a major upgrade.
Keeping Spotify updated on your Mac is simple and ensures you always have the latest features and functionality. Just enable automatic updates or periodically check for new versions manually. Use the Mac App Store for convenient one-stop updating as well.
Be sure to log out and back into Spotify after an update to refresh the session. Following these easy tips guarantees you’ll enjoy an optimized music experience with the newest capabilities Spotify releases through continuous development.