Spotify is one of the most popular music streaming services, giving users access to over 70 million songs. With such a vast catalog, there are bound to be some tracks you just can’t stand listening to.
Thankfully, Spotify offers a simple way to block songs from ever playing again.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to block a song on Spotify.
Why Would You Want to Block a Song?
There are a few key reasons you may want to block a track on Spotify:
- The song comes on too often, and you’re sick of hearing it.
- You strongly dislike the artist or song and don’t want it recommended to you.
- The lyrics are explicit or inappropriate, and you want to avoid the song.
- It’s an annoying ad jingle you keep hearing between songs.
- You have a personal, negative association with the song.
Blocking a track ensures you’ll never have to listen to it again while using Spotify. It’s great for curating your perfect personalized library and skipping over any unwanted tunes.
How to Block a Song on Spotify Android?
Blocking a track on mobile is easy and only takes a few taps:
1. Pull Up the Song You Want to Block
First, search for the artist or song and pull it up on your Spotify app. Make sure you have the latest version installed for the blocking feature.
2. Tap the 3 Dot Menu Icon
Look for the 3 vertical dots (menu icon) in the upper right corner and tap it.
3. Select “Don’t Play This”
This menu option may also be called “Remove From This Playlist” if you found the song through a specific playlist. Both options will block the track.
4. Confirm the Block
Spotify will ask if you want to remove the song from the current playlist or block the song entirely. Choose to block the song from your Spotify account.
And that’s it! The song is now blocked and won’t play again in playlists, radio stations, or anywhere else on Spotify.
How to Block a Song on Spotify PC?
You can also easily block tracks from the Spotify desktop app and web player:
1. Right-click the Song Title
Play the song you want to block, then right-click the track title.
2. Choose “Don’t Play This”
In the pop-up menu, you’ll see the option to block the song. Click on “Don’t Play This“.
3. Confirm the Block
Spotify will ask if you just want to remove it from the playlist or block the song entirely. Choose to block the track from your account.
The song is now blocked and won’t appear again!
How to Block a Song on Spotify Premium?
Beyond the official methods above, there are some other tricks for blocking tracks:
- Add it to a playlist – Make a playlist called something like “Banned Songs” and add any unwanted tracks to it. With all those songs in one inconvenient place, you likely won’t play the playlist.
- Dislike the song – If a track keeps getting recommended, disliking it will signal to Spotify’s algorithm you don’t want to hear it.
- Skip and don’t play the full song – Skipping a track before 30 seconds also tells Spotify you’re not interested in listening.
- Block the artist – You can block an entire artist on Spotify, which will block all their songs too.
- Use a third-party app – Some apps like SpotiBlock let you mass-block artists and songs.
Can You Unblock Songs?
Yes! If you change your mind, it’s easy to unblock tracks on Spotify:
- On mobile, go back into the 3 dot song menu and select “Allow This“.
- On the desktop, right-click the track again and choose “Allow This“.
The song will then be removed from your blocked list and can play again as normal.
Now let’s look at some frequently asked questions about blocking music on Spotify:
FAQ About Blocking Spotify Songs
1. Does blocking a song delete it?
No, blocking a song doesn’t delete or remove it from Spotify’s catalog. It simply hides the track from ever playing on your account again.
2. Can you block songs without Premium?
Unfortunately, only Spotify Premium subscribers can block songs. With a free account, you can still dislike tracks which should reduce how often they play.
3. What happens if you block an artist?
Blocking an artist will remove all their songs from playing in your Spotify account. You won’t be able to play any of their tracks.
4. Can other people see your blocked songs?
No, your blocked song list is private and only visible to you when logged into your Spotify account. Other users can’t see what you have blocked.
5. Can you block podcasts?
At this time, you can’t block podcasts or episodes on Spotify. You can unfollow or unsubscribe from podcasts, but there is no official block option yet.
Blocking annoying or unwanted songs is a great way to tailor your Spotify experience. With just a few taps on mobile or desktop, you can banish irritating tracks and never hear them again in playlists, stations, or recommendations. Just be sure you want to block a song since reversing the option takes a few extra steps. But if you’re sick of a particular tune, blocking is the best way to skip it forever.
So go ahead and block those bothersome Bieber songs, tired top 40 hits, or any other music ruining your vibe. With your personalized block list, Spotify can better suggest songs that match your tastes. Just don’t go overboard blocking whole genres – variety is still important for discovering new favorites! With the right balance of blocks, skips, and song ratings, you’ll have your dream music library in no time.